Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #1

Swing arm play ??

Hi,
I was installing a new chain and front sprocket. When I went to tension the chain I noticed that when I pulled on the chain the rear tire moved. Actually, the whole swing arm was loose, quite sloppy on the pivot bolt. I pulled out the bolt, but it is not broken or worn. I'm going to pull it all down next week when I get my new tires.
From what I can tell the extra slop is inside the end of the swingarm. Does anyone know it there are bushings in there? I can't believe I was riding it like that. But you didn't see the movement when the wheel was on the ground.
Thanks All

Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 AM   #2

You are not the only one. My swingarm had a lot of slack, even when the swingarmbolt was very tight. I solved it by putting a washer in each side, between the bushing and the frame. This solved the problem.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #3

Fixed It !

Here's what I did. The bolt for the swingarm pivot was .471 (12mm) in diameter and the hole thru the swingarm was .515 (13mm). I went to the local Ace hardware store and got a grade 8 .500 (1/2 in) bolt. I had to drill the holes in the frame out to .500 but the bolt fit nice and snug thru the swingarm. Greased it up and put it back together and no more slop.
Next I think I'll look at those engine mounting bolts.....
Paul

Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #4

Hi,

I think I misunderstood you. :wink:

My swingarm had freeplay/slack "sideways". The width of the swingarm was slightly smaller than the space between the framemounts. A washer in each side solves this.

I did'nt check if the hole was too big for the swingarm bolt. I should have done that while I had it apart.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #5

The swinging arm bearings are rubbish, mine had steel "top hat" bushes running on a steel sleeve. Totally knackered after 7500 miles, I found some stock size bronze bushes and machined them down to fit and made a new centre sleeve (the Chinese bushes are all about .75mm away from an off the shelf bearing size).

Jonathan.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #6

Thanks!!