Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #1

cg250 rocker arm failure

Rocker arm fixture failed on the intake side at about 50 miles after assembly. Ali cam similar to 290 (stock lift with longer duration), Ebay roller lifters, Ali 70MM cylinder with .025" inch shaved off, Motocult thin head gasket (-.030"-ish), Motocult rocker arm spacer plate. It ran noisy from the start after initial run, I rechecked the valve lash which was still at .004". It ran great until it failed all at once while in slow speed cruse. I'm not finding any signs of valve clearance problems. Thinking that possibly the roller lifters are a different ratio causing the springs to bind or possible they are just a different geometry, anyone have any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240609_200939662.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	31546  

Old Today, 12:52 AM   #2

the rocker didn't fail, the casting of the rocker box probably just had a flaw/crack in it. The rocker is still whole and on it's shaft.

I've been running a WGK 292 duration cam for a few years now without any issues.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old Today, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
the rocker didn't fail, the casting of the rocker box probably just had a flaw/crack in it. The rocker is still whole and on it's shaft.

I've been running a WGK 292 duration cam for a few years now without any issues.
Yes, no damage to the rocker itself, just the mounting. I have considered it could have been a defective part but feel like I should explore all the possibilities while I wait on parts. I dropped a push rod down into the abyss while disassembling, if I can't retrieve it with a magnet, I'm sure I will get a closer look at everything.

Old Today, 11:41 AM   #4

You noted the engine was noisy upon starting it up (and not valve lash related). This suggests SOMETHING is making contact that shouldn't be. Could well be coil bind, and you can easily check that once you get it back together. If not, it's gotta be related to the followers. There isn't really anything else in there to make noise (unless you are mysteriously missing a bolt or socket).

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Last edited by red2003; Today at 01:52 PM.

Old Today, 01:22 PM   #5

I would have thought that the push rod would be the weakest link and would bend before the casting would break. Megadan is probably correct that it is a flawed casting. Some rocker supports are made of stamped steel instead of cast. Maybe they're stronger.

Old Today, 02:20 PM   #6

Just wondering after rereading post #1, is there a chance that the valves and piston made contact? Could that have been the noise from the get go and short life after changes? I’m interested too in all these changes. Just thinking out loud…