Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #1

Carburetor vs. EFI -From a Regulatory/Legal Perspective

I have questions regarding the use of carburetors on Chinese bikes, such as the Dongfang, LiFan, Zongshen, etc., and how they get around emissions regulations.

I note that pretty much all other current production bikes, outside of the Chinese bikes, have Electronic Fuel Injection. I know that the manufacturers "market" EFI as being a step forward in so far as smoother running, more power, and improved reliability. However, my experience with other "machinery", such as lawn and garden equipment, that they seem to run perfectly well with carburetors. As a matter of fact, I can only think of one carburetor "failure" in the last 45 years, and that was with the float valve on the carburetor on mt old 1970's Cub Cadet tractor! So I have no aversion at all to carburetors, and actually prefer them over EFI - especially with the upcoming regulations heading our way.

I've heard that the new Euro 5 emissions regulations require that the ECU's include software that makes the bikes "tamper proof". If you decide to so much put a high flow air cleaner, or an aftermarket exhaust on your engine, or go even further by trying to use a "fueling tuner" such as a Power Commander to change the fueling of your engine to make it a run a little more rich to improve throttle response, idling, and cut down on combustion temperatures, the Euro 5 ECU software will detect these mods and will "throw a code", and even activate a "limp home" mode.

So why does whatever those wacky Europeans decide to do affect us here in the good ol' USA, the Land of the Free? Because the manufacturers all are making "world" machines, and don't want to go to the extra considerable expense to make a special "modification tolerant" version of their ECUs for the U.S. market.

But finally, after all that, I am getting around to my question: How are the makers and importers of Chinese carburetor-equipped bikes able to sell them in the USA? Do they have some sort of exemption from having to meet emission regulations, or do they just bite the bullet and not sell their products in States like California with stricter regulations?

Does that mean that someone like CSC is not able to sell their San Gabriel SG250 in California?

I'd be interested in hearing some discussion of this matter. If this has been covered before, sorry, but please just point me to that discussion.

Edit to add:

Here's a blog about Euro 5 Anti Tampering software:

Last edited by tpelle; 03-30-2022 at 01:40 PM.