Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #1

gy-5 help!?!

hello everyone...
i dont want to sound just like every post from a new guy,but i guess i could use a little reassurance... ive owned several honda dual sport bikes in the past and loved them, but now that it is time to but a new bike... i cant help but notice the price of a lifan. im looking for durability and reliability above all else. i will be using the bike for daily commute and some light trails. the thing that worries me is the fact that i do not know how to work on bikes. i dont want to spend 14-1500 bucks on something that i will have to keep paying someone to fix. is this bike for me or should i keep looking for another honda?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #2

cole...take it from me man (i am in the same boat)...if you cant work on em you should probably go with something else. UNLESS you are eager to learn, in that case it might be a good idea. They seem to require a lot of tinkering but that being said, you do get a lot of fun for your money.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #3

You should find a used big four and will probably be happier, The Lifans seem to be good bikes but You will need to be turning wrenches. And a lot depends on the commute, And how much speed You will require.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #4

These bikes remind me of my old VW baja bug, fun, reliable and easy to work on but they need a lot of tinkering/wrenching.

If your looking for a "buy it and forget about it" bike look elsewhere.
If your looking to wrench/tinker on a bike then the chinese bikes are good.

These are good bikes but it seems like there is always something that needs to be adjusted, repaired, lubed, tightened.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #5

Ditto. If you want bullet-proof, low to no maintenance, I'd look elsewhere.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #6

I would look at (for comparison) either the UM DSF-200/SMF-200 if you can get a deal on it, or the Qlink XF200/XP200. Both are sold through dealers with warranties, and both can be had for less than a new big brand (i.e. Suzuki DR200se/Yamaha TW200). Just a thought if you want a lower entry price (no, not as low as an Ebay 200cc Shineray), but lower than a big brand bike, and warrantied and repaired by dealers.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
I would look at (for comparison) either the UM DSF-200/SMF-200 if you can get a deal on it, or the Qlink XF200/XP200. Both are sold through dealers with warranties, and both can be had for less than a new big brand (i.e. Suzuki DR200se/Yamaha TW200). Just a thought if you want a lower entry price (no, not as low as an Ebay 200cc Shineray), but lower than a big brand bike, and warrantied and repaired by dealers.
I just looked at the DSF-200 today. It has the same engine as my Lifan.
I swear though, I want one. That bike is so much nicer than my Lifan it's not even funny. If only it was a 400...

Old 03-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #8

I would agree these Chinese bikes are pretty delicate, but so are most bikes really....even a small dive on a motor-bike can cause $1000's in damage...plus with any bike you have to check the nuts and bolts on a regular basis...protect the main hardware and I think you should be fine, maybe look at something cheaper than a $1500 Lifan and see if you can get it going, and how long it lasts!

lol..with these bikes you really are looking at a (bicycle) with a motor, but a nice bike on that note!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #9

Re: gy-5 help!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole
I'm looking for durability and reliability above all else.
Honda actually advertises their new Made-in-Japan CRF230L as "the most reliable bike out there" and "Whether it's on campus, on the RV or on the commute, the CRF230L will provide reliable transportation for years to come." They also offer a four year, unlimited mileage extended warranty. MSRP + transportation + tax/title/license + dealer prep + the four year extended warranty and you should be on the road for under $6000.

HTH,
tcs

Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #10

If you don't want to have to do any work then you probably want to look at a one of the higher end china bikes or a nice clean used big 4 bike.

Only look at the nice clean used big 4 bikes and not the ones that have been beat on. They will require just as much work as a lifan with much more expensive parts.

Also on china bikes. Most shops will not work on them unless you have the dealer right there.

I think the yamaha XT225 is a good buy.

Allen

Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #11

Re: gy-5 help!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs
MSRP + transportation + tax/title/license + dealer prep + the four year extended warranty and you should be on the road for under $6000.

HTH,
tcs
They're practically giving them away!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard