Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #1

1994 F350 complete teardown thread

As per Weldandgrind's request, I am starting a new thread about the F350 I am currently in the process of biuilding up.

I bought a 1994 F350 crew cab long box that was a 351 gas, 4 speed automatic 2 wheel drive truck. I am not a big fan of gasoline engines in work trucks, so I yanked it out. The automatic transmission is also going in favoe of a ZF S5-47 engine from a 1997 Powerstroke F450.

In favor of the front 2 wheel drive twin I beam front suspension, I am drilling the frame in preparation for a Dana 60 front axle froma 1992 F350 crew cab truck. She will be spinning 3.55:1 ratio gears to help the mileage out.

Under the hood i am creating a fire breathing monster. I am taking a factory turbo IDI engine...1994 year to be exact and am stripping it down. Currently it sits as just a rotating assembly, a block and a cam as a unit...all other parts and pieces have been totally removed, cleaned up and checked for wear. This engine will be getting new pistons with the wrist pin bores made 30 thousandths closer to the top of the piston...dropping my compression ratio a little lower. The precombustion chambers in the heads are going to be GREATLY worked over and opened up to lower compression a little more and allow teh fuel to find it's way to the piston a LOT easier.

A more aggressive camshaft, a hotter DB2 stanadyne pump, stage one injectors from DPS, a 60-1 compressor wheel for the ATS 093 turbo and a modified exhaust housing will be attached to the engine. An intercooler from a freightliner M2 106 will cool the 25 PSI of incoming air before it's crammed into the cylinders.

This will be a slow, delicate process. I want to take all and any precautions before and during the build up. I am not sur eon actual output numbers, but I am hoping for 400 flywheel horsepower...might hit that mark, might not. The IDI is not typically known for big power.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

You may not have big hp, but the torque should be there.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

You might just alter the Earth's rotation.

I'm gonna go make a bowl of popcorn.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #4

You should be able to hit like 800 to 900ftlbs of torque
It wont be fast but it will drag the world around with the right first gear and lowrange

Old 01-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #5

I'm hoping for videos of trees being pulled down.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^