Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #1

Oil cooler breaking

What would you do here? Check the pic. The banjo casing is cracking. Inside of it is a rubber hose. So far I’m getting a slow oil drip. Maybe a teaspoon a day or less depending on ride time.

My main worry is it will get worse or completely let go on a long ride or hot day.

Due to the clearance issues I do see how I can run the lines differently and the more I mess with it I’m sure I’ll break what’s left.

Ideas??

*Seller sold out, other sellers not responsive. The other end screws into the coolers filter so sourcing a identical new one doesn’t seem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F30E7257-B9ED-4892-9E52-4528DCB59B22.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	660.8 KB
ID:	31525  

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #2

You might find the length hose you need right HERE, without the solid end piece. Two new banjo fittings and you'll be back in business.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #3

Thanks. I have plenty of length in the braided hose. Do you think I can get a male ended banjo fitted into it? Also not 100% sure where to source those banjo fittings.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #4

Could it be repaired with JB Weld or some other product?
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #5

I might be able to. High temp gasket maker/RTV or maybe even solder it?

Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #6

I, for sure, wouldn't run it until you get it fixed. I would finish removing the pipe where it's broken, tap the banjo fitting (where the pipe used to go) for a barb fitting (any hardware store has brass barb fittings that are male pipe thread on the other end) and put a short piece of hose in between.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2003 View Post
I, for sure, wouldn't run it until you get it fixed. I would finish removing the pipe where it's broken, tap the banjo fitting (where the pipe used to go) for a barb fitting (any hardware store has brass barb fittings that are male pipe thread on the other end) and put a short piece of hose in between.
There is no oil coming out of it. It is clearly stressed, but the crankcase is full of oil !!

You can ride it, assuming that you didn't cleanup, wash off all of the leaking oil !!!!

But seriously, there are ready made SS lines with banjo bolts (like the original you installed (or made). A banjo fitting compression tool is NOT cheap! I'd just get a premade line, which are cheap. $12-$20 or order a custom line (still under $40) and ride it until it begins to leak, or doesn't. Then install the replacement.

Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM   #8

That stress point could only happen if the fitting/banjo bolt was overdone and forced/rotated the fitting to contact the engine case while still being turned.

User error seems to be the issue.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
That stress point could only happen if the fitting/banjo bolt was overdone and forced/rotated the fitting to contact the engine case while still being turned.

User error seems to be the issue.
Fortunately, the seal isn't compromised, though obviously stressed. As I said, no leak, no issue.

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
There is no oil coming out of it. It is clearly stressed, but the crankcase is full of oil !!

You can ride it, assuming that you didn't cleanup, wash off all of the leaking oil !!!!

But seriously, there are ready made SS lines with banjo bolts (like the original you installed (or made). A banjo fitting compression tool is NOT cheap! I'd just get a premade line, which are cheap. $12-$20 or order a custom line (still under $40) and ride it until it begins to leak, or doesn't. Then install the replacement.
Did you not read the original post stating that it IS leaking? You can clearly see oil on the frame below the fittings, and see the solder joint is broken. If it breaks completely loose on the road, at best the engine pumps out all the oil and seizes. At worst, it's in a corner and the oil gets under the rear wheel and the guy wrecks and dies. It's very irresponsible to encourage someone to chance that.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #11

Something like this should get you out of trouble. Just need to find the correct banjo bolt diameter and pipe barb measurements.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...68379.html?spm

Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #12

Remove the line,clean the oil off of it,bend it back up in place and braze or silver solder it up.