Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #1

Problem with starter solenoid sticking

I've always had this problem. The starter solenoid sticks when starting it and it just cranks and cranks. It's even engaged on its own and I go outside and it's sitting there cranking. I bought a new switch but never installed it because I read in the forums it probably wasn't the switch but was another problem. Had a car that did that it was the ignition switch. But when it did it this last time I unplugged the start switch and it kept on like the contacts had welded together. Disconnected the battery cable to get it to quit. Now I wait 10-15 minutes reconnect the cable it's fine, but my battery is running down or entirely different problem. When I first went to start it before it did that it sounded like the battery was low. It's a brand new battery. Then it picked up and cranked but stuck. It is a brand new solenoid, used it maybe 10 times. Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

I suspect there's a short in the wire from the starter button to the solenoid. IIRC, the starter button closes the ground circuit, and if the wire is making contact with the frame at some point, I could see where it would crank. The fact that you unplugged the starter button and it continued cranking leads me to this theory.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #3

I don't think my wire from solenoid is shorted, it's only 12" long and brand new. When I unplugged it it disconnected both power and ground. I think it's welding my contacts together but I don't know why. It's brand new. That's what ruined my last solenoid, had it smoking and it melted before I could get to it. I'm putting a quick disconnect in my positive cable to the solenoid, for stopping it. Getting the side panel off then the positive cable takes awhile. So it should speed it up, just unplugging it. But it'll do it when it wants then it'll quit for awhile have no trouble for a long time.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyc72110 View Post
I don't think my wire from solenoid is shorted, it's only 12" long and brand new. When I unplugged it it disconnected both power and ground. I think it's welding my contacts together but I don't know why. It's brand new. That's what ruined my last solenoid, had it smoking and it melted before I could get to it. I'm putting a quick disconnect in my positive cable to the solenoid, for stopping it. Getting the side panel off then the positive cable takes awhile. So it should speed it up, just unplugging it. But it'll do it when it wants then it'll quit for awhile have no trouble for a long time.
Check your starter switch and the rest of your electrical wiring. You have an electrical problem somewhere, and you will continue to fry solenoids until you fix the root problem.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyc72110 View Post
I don't think my wire from solenoid is shorted, it's only 12" long and brand new.
That's not the wire I mean. I'm talking about the wire from the starter button to the solenoid, which activates the solenoid. I'm not talking about the large gauge wire from the battery to the solenoid, or from the solenoid to the starter. Those are clearly intact.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I suspect there's a short in the wire from the starter button to the solenoid. IIRC, the starter button closes the ground circuit, and if the wire is making contact with the frame at some point, I could see where it would crank. The fact that you unplugged the starter button and it continued cranking leads me to this theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's not the wire I mean. I'm talking about the wire from the starter button to the solenoid, which activates the solenoid. I'm not talking about the large gauge wire from the battery to the solenoid, or from the solenoid to the starter. Those are clearly intact.
X3.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #7

http://www.dansmc.com/electric_starters.htm
IF starter clutch worn, the starter won't stop...

Old 09-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

diode 二极管
cltuch 离合器 s/w | neutral 空档 s/w

Old 09-13-2015, 02:57 AM   #9

Fresh zs177mm / Nc 250 starter coil burn problem, photos today , 1 head burned, probably totaly my fantasy fail, double radiator fan mounted manuel button (non heat sensor of radiator)

Last edited by Co2; 12-18-2015 at 12:39 PM.