Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #1

Flat tire supplies ??

I was just wondering what you folks pack on your bikes for emergency tire repair. I have a small bicycle pump on order from Amazon that is supposed to be good for 100psi. Does that Slime Red label for tubes tires work? Do you think this pump will be alright.? If not I will order something else, and cancel this one. Thanks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08MX...b_b_prod_image

Old 06-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #2

That pump will work. The smaller the pump, the more strokes it'll take but it's fine for emergency use.

I'm a bit anal about flats since I've had so many. I carry a new tube for each size wheel, a new unopened patch kit, pump, a tire iron and a Crescent wrench with handle ground into a second tire iron, and a piece of aluminum crutch to prop up the bike for removing the rear wheel.

The only thing slime is good for in a tube type tire is to temporarily plug goat head holes.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #3

What is a goat head hole?

Old 06-21-2021, 12:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
What is a goat head hole?
I think he is talking about holes made by those goathead weeds

Old 06-21-2021, 05:35 AM   #5

Yes, a low growing plant that produces seeds that resemble a goats head with horns. When dried they are very sharp and will leave lots of tiny holes in your tire. Consider yourself fortunate if the don't grow in your area.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Yes, a low growing plant that produces seeds that resemble a goats head with horns. When dried they are very sharp and will leave lots of tiny holes in your tire. Consider yourself fortunate if the don't grow in your area.
We don't have that specific burr here in the Mid Ohio Valley of West Virginia, but we do have a similar burr that is football shaped, and about the size of an unshelled almond. They have heavy, but short, and blunt spikes that wouldn't go through a tire. They are not much trouble to people, but if they get on a long haired dog, you have to cut them out. Cockle burrs, and them little triangle shaped burrs are the biggest nuisance burrs around here.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #7

A lot of the members here have mentioned carrying with them a bunch of the long (12"?) plastic Zip-Ties. After a flat you run it around the tire between the knobbies, spaced about 4 to 6 inches apart. They keep your tire on the bead until you can get back to civilization and warm cocoa.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
A lot of the members here have mentioned carrying with them a bunch of the long (12"?) plastic Zip-Ties. After a flat you run it around the tire between the knobbies, spaced about 4 to 6 inches apart. They keep your tire on the bead until you can get back to civilization and warm cocoa.

I've seen this trick before and it seems to work reasonably well, just keep your speed down and be vigilant but in a pinch it works and I plan to carry the zip ties, they're useful for other stuff anyway.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 06-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #9

Is there a product made you can just spray into the tube inflating it, will harden, and allow you to ride 50 miles slowly out of somewhere?

Could save a lot of weight over carrying spares.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Is there a product made you can just spray into the tube inflating it, will harden, and allow you to ride 50 miles slowly out of somewhere?

Could save a lot of weight over carrying spares.

Well I think that's the idea of products like fix-a-flat but I dunno how well that works on tubed tires and also they make an absolute mess inside your rims. I know of places that refuse to change a tire that's been fix-a-flatted (is that a term?)

You could run slime in your tube which would help with small holes and such right? I've never run it myself, not since my MTB days and that was 20 years ago

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 06-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #11

Is that your new invention today, Boatguy?...I like it!

Old 06-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Is that your new invention today, Boatguy?...I like it!
I think it is! Ha ha.

I guess I’ll work on it instead of putting it online so some big company can do it first.

Shhhh. I’ll work on it.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #13

I have used regular slime in my mowers with tubeless tires, but only after a flat, not as prevention, and it works, but not always the first time. I still have plenty on hand, but it is evidently not usable with tubes. They sell a formula with a Red stripe on the label for tires with tubes, and the Emergency formula with a yellow label that will seal a bigger hole, but can only be ran a short while before it throws the balance off. I don't think it is for tubes, but if it is I would carry it.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #14

I see post #7 as a good idea if you want to run tube type tires at lower air pressure. Just wondering why, knowing the the tube is going to be stressed. I'm thinking flats are more caused by low air pressure than stickers. Just my thoughts!

Old 06-22-2021, 06:17 PM   #15

And also squishy tires my be hard on spoked rims causing loosening. Thinking out loud