Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Anyone tell me what this part is?

Here are some links to four pics of the part, the first is where it is located on the quad (gio beast). The rest are close ups from different angles. The last pic shows the connections. The circled yellow wires look like there is some burning going on, the wire is turning brown.

http://imageshack.us/a/img109/6586/photo4cx.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img513/2950/photo2yn.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img90/8404/photo1gc.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img513/2760/photo3lc.jpg

Anyway, some symptoms of what is going wrong is, hard to start (wont even try, or never catches), once going will sputter and die, and while driving it sputters, backfires, no real power.

The interesting thing is, all the above symptoms are fixed temporarily when I jiggle the wires to this thing. The two wires with screws are on good, so I figure it must be the yellow wires turning brown that go right inside the metal casing not hooked up right inside. Are there tests you can do with a multimeter on this thing? Is this something I can somehow pop open and look at the inside and fix, or do I need to get a whole new part? Is there similar part that could be used that might be found locally? The part had kf100726 on it.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

Starter solenoid.

Common failure point.

Wires are sometimes too thin and overheat.

Some guys have replaced the wires with heavier gauge with resolution of the problem.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #3

So, any suggestions on how to get it open so I can get at the wires? Any trick or do you just pry the plastic off the metal? Any chance it is threaded?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

I believe the good Doctor means heavier wires to and from the solenoid, not within. Examine the wire size that is connected to your solenoid, and you'll see what he means.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Well, there are 4 wires on this thing. 2 are thick and attached to the outside by screws, but there are 2 yellow ones that go directly into the casing. Its those 2 that are turning brown. Maybe I am not explaining this correctly. In my original post, the fourth link pic has the yellow wires circled.

I am thinking there is a loose connection with those yellow wires inside the casing and was wondering how to pop it open to check it out. Also, is there an equivalent part maybe for a Honda that would work? I know I have a honda dealership nearby.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

It might help to explain the purpose of a solenoid. The starter motor on an engine draws quite a bit of power when it's activated, which is too much for the tiny starter switch on the handlebar. The solenoid is a device in between the switch and the starter, and it allows you to control a big device with a small switch.

When you press the starter button, you're sending power (through the small yellow wires) to activate the solenoid. When the solenoid is activated, it then sends power to the starter motor. One of the large wires comes from the battery, and the other goes to the starter; once you energize the solenoid (again, with the small yellow wires), the two large wires connect together. Make sense?

The yellow wires can be small because they don't need to carry much current. If they're turning brown, it's because the starter button has been held on for too long, too many times. Disconnect the yellow wires connector and examine it; does it look deformed or cracked? If so, you'll need to replace it. If not, then perhaps the solenoid is done and should be replaced. Solenoids are pretty generic, and there will be several to choose from. I'd search for ATV SOLENOID on eBay. You'll eventually find a perfect match for cheap. I'm still using the stock solenoid on my 2008 Beast.

Regarding your inital post, the solenoid has no connection with how the engine runs, only how it turns over. Once the engine is running, the solenoid and starter circuit are dead. If you have idling / running problems, it's likely a carb issue, which we can help you with.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer