Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

Engine oil question

So when you guys fill your rhino with oil what do you use to check the oil level?

When I fill with new oil I use the sight glass and try to get in the middle of the L-H range. But if I start the machine all the oil is gone from the sight glass. When I turn off the engine it takes forever to show up in the sight window again. Should I add more or is that how it should be?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

I use the sight glass and check on level ground with the engine not running... sitting a while before checking. Never watched it when the motor is running but sure you will see a drop as the oil is getting churned around the crankcase.

The last thing you want to do is overfill it. Not exactly sure about the internals on these ATV engines yet, but on a pull start small engine you have a oil kicker/flicker on the crankshaft. Every revolution it picks up some oil and splashes it to where it needs it. Put too much in and the entire crankshaft will be submerged... some performance will drop with the resistance. If it gets on top of the piston the plug will fowl. The exhaust will pump out smoke.

Your car wont be any different. You just can't see the actual level with a sight glass on it. Most lawn engines are the same way.

Go by your sight glass reading. If it has a dipstick that works too. It is the correct level if measured when not running.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

oil dipstick

with the oil cold.... not started.... take the dipstick out.... clean... reinstall ONLY SO IT SITS ON THE TOP OF THE HOLE.... do not thread into the hole....... check oil level then... should show the amount of oil... the sight glass method... I would not use.... drain & re fill oil as to specs... and see ... 10-40....15-45 diesel motor oil

Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #4

thanks guys

Old 06-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #5

Excellent reply,, Thanks as I was about to tackle on the rhino's as well.