Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #1

Lazy Ride This Evening

I left my bike at work last night and took the shop truck home because of some violent storms in our area. Good thing, too. Water up to the door sills on the truck in many places along the route home. I don't think the bike can swim.

Anyway, I rode the five miles home tonight, mowed the lawn, and decided to take a ride after dinner. It was a lazy 30 miler, mostly through the Barrington Hills, IL area. A land of hills, multi-acre homesites, thoroughbreds, and a number of Rolls-Royce owners. Plus 25 mph speed limits. I pretty much had the roads to myself, save for a myriad of joggers and a few bicyclists.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the scenery, as I have bicycled the area for 30+ years but I will admit to stealing a second look at some of cute female joggers. :wink: Through Barrington Hills, into the town of Barrington itself, into Barrington Hills again(covers a wide area), lots of short steep climbs and many easy curves, past the famous Penny Road Pub and into Hoffman Estates where I picked up IL 72.

Hiway 72, or Higgins Road, is a main east/west route in Kane County, IL and fairly heavily traveled. I caught it late in the day and traffic was light. I pointed myself west towards home and bent my right wrist hard. The Hibird went up to 55 quickly and never complained. Made sure no one was looking and cracked the throttle all the way. Was approaching 70 and the bike was still pulling but I decided I didn't want to go any faster or even that fast, so I eased back down to 55 for the last few miles before getting back home.

It was enjoyable to go for a ride where the bike ran well and nothing broke or sounded like it was going to break. The new fuel filter has been the cheapest and best upgrade I've done so far. I now have an honest 500+ kilometers on it(second oil change at 450) and hope to add 200 more by Monday.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 AM   #2

Sounds like a great ride.

What makes the Penny Road Pub famous?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Sounds like a great ride.

What makes the Penny Road Pub famous?
http://www.reverbnation.com/venue/pennyroadpublivemusic

Every now and then, they have some high zoot acts play there. Great place to park your bike and grab a bite when nothing's going on.

I stopped in there late one night for a burger and a brew almost 30 years ago and the late, great Waylon Jennings and some of his band strolled in after their gig at the now defunct Poplar Creek Music Theater. He asked me if the burgers were as good as they looked. 8O 8O 8O

I kinda just stared and drooled. :roll:

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #4

I'm glad you had a nice ride, Cheesy. It's a pleasure to go riding when the bike is running well.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the info on the Penny Road Pub. Interestingly, I was just using the Reverb Nation site to find two of my favourite lesser-known Canadian bands: Wide Mouth Mason http://www.reverbnation.com/widemouthmason and Big Sugar http://www.bigsugar.com/ They're both recording and touring again.

Riding to a little pub and finding a big name there would make for a great day! 8)

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer