Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Increasing oil level

Okay I need help figuring this one out... I think the obvious answer is blow-by but still...

Bashan 250 engine has 60 miles on it. I changed the oil morning just before the ride, intentionally leaving the oil level on the "L" low side, filling up less maybe 7/8 of a quart. After riding for an hour, immediately checking the oil level it was in the middle of "L" & "H". Okay not too bad.

1 week later I checked the oil level, and it's now above "High"... so ...

Is fuel somehow getting into the crankcase? I left the fuelcock in the off position. Gas was fresh there shouldn't be water in it, and we don't have much humidity here... Is it normal to have a new engine to have that much of a blow by? Everything is stock on this bike... I would think if fuel got into oil they would combust and burn off...

Keihin PZ30 Main-115 Pilot-38 Needle-1Washer Fuel Mixture-1/2

BSR Chronicles - "Project leads to more projects!"

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Old 10-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #2

A week later with riding it? or just sitting there?

How long after a ride of what distance did you check it?

Old 10-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #3

A week of no riding. The only ride after oil change was for perhaps 10~15 miles. The factory oil and first set of oil had streaks of "stuff" in them, no idea what they are. Bike has plenty of power and I already got Rotella T4 waiting in the garage.

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Old 10-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #4

In my experience, if you are getting blow-by, you can really smell the gasoline in the oil and even see a rainbow effect in the oil.

A similar thing happened to me. I changed the oil several days before and checked the sight glass with the bike on a jack and level. Oil level was in between the L-H hash marks. Later that week I did a quick pre-ride inspection and noticed the oil level was high??? I double checked with bike on a level jack. It was high. Since I wanted to change to a different oil on next change, I figured I would do it right then and pay extra attention to the amount of fluid I was adding. All is and has been good.

Not sure how I screwed up that bad, if I did. But if I were you, I would try it again, focusing on the amount, tilting bike from side to side to get as complete drain as you can and making sure your bike is level when adding and checking...

Old 10-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #5

pull the dip stick out and smell the oil... if you smell gas on it... gas is mixing... then go ahead and change the oil to Rotella T4 and ride... after about a week... check it again... I fill mine in between lines on the sight glass and also check the stick too... you don't want to over full it... you will blow seals and the oil will come out your by pass hose...
2004 Isuzu Rodeo
1998 Kia Sportage 4x4
2004 Toyota Tundra
2016 Ford Escape

Guitars

1970 Gibson SG mint Condition
2005 Epiphone white Custom SG Les Paul L/New
Fender Banjo New Condition
BC Rich Bitch - Like New\
3 Jay Turser SG Good Condition

Amps

Marshall vs100 Good Condition
Acoustic 261 very good condition
Boss GT-6 Pedal effects Like New

Old 10-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #6

It could be the carbinlet needle is sticking ,or the float as well .

Old 10-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I pulled the dip stick and it smells a bit of gasoline. I think I will lower the oil level, run the engine until dry, and wait a few days see if oil level goes up again...

Update: I dumped some oil so level is back to "L"ow. Petcock is still closed, and bike wouldn't start. I would think there is some fuel left in the bowl. (I started warm bike before with petcock closed and ran out of fuel on the road once. ) After about 10 tries battery got weak. So I put fuel petcock on and started the bike with a battery charger. After bike started I turned off petcock again and let the engine run the carb dry.

Can fuel in the carb bowl vaporize in a week and end up in the oil? I really don't get it.. It's not like a gravity feed especially with petcock closed.

The oil had some streaks in it again. I really wonder if I need to change oil every ride or at least add a magnet to the oil drain bolt or inside the mesh filter.

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Last edited by AresROC; 10-09-2018 at 02:06 AM.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

ok... we know that gas is mixing in your oil... now we need to find where is it getting in at... check your intake manifold .. the seal or gasket behind it... look at where the gas flows through... and go from there looking for cracks... can't be getting in only a few places...

OK.. forget the gas tank and the petcock... the gas is getting in after the carburetor... when the bike is sittimg over night with the petcock on... does the bike start up like always?? or is the carburetor out of gas?? I believe the gas is getting in after the intake... maybe a hair crack in the head or the gasket is not seated in place..... air cooled??? forgot to ask...
2004 Isuzu Rodeo
1998 Kia Sportage 4x4
2004 Toyota Tundra
2016 Ford Escape

Guitars

Amps

Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Anytime the bike's not running, the petcock should be closed.
If it's not, gravity takes effect. It will eek past the jets and run down into the barrel and past the rings. As they say, "water runs downhill".

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #10

I have never closed off my petcock.. only during winter months when sitting... I have never had a problem with my gas running through the carb and past the rings.. I still don't shut the petcock off when not riding it for days at a time... and it will start up most of the time the first turn over... never no gas in my oil... no backfires... or sputtering... never to any of my Hondas or my Roketa that I currently own... I know what you are sying about gravity... but if the needle is set right... and the float is set right... then it should shut the gas off from flowing... gravity only pertains to flow to the carb... not through the carb... if flowing through the carb then the bike would always flood out and never run... my petcock has been on for 2 weeks now and I haven't started in that long... but I will today and ride her some... but I know there won't be a problem.. could be a crack or a messed up gasket.. when heated up the crack expands.... same principal as a car.. or even try closing off the petcock... and see if you get gas in the oil.. you probably will... hope not...
2004 Isuzu Rodeo
1998 Kia Sportage 4x4
2004 Toyota Tundra
2016 Ford Escape

Guitars

Amps

Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #11

Carb inlet needle valves constantly fail ,a little bit of dirt ,a sticky float hinge pin ,is all it takes to have problems .For whatever reason ,I have dealt with more Chinese carbs and these issues ,and mostly in either brand new or very new bikes .Often when opening up these carbs ,I find some metal trash holding open the needle ,or nothing but a stuck float that a simple touch gets moving again .I have had several petcocks leak as well ,once again mainly on the China bikes .Of course as the bike gets older and it’s had some ethanol gas in it ,you will have the green crud growing in the carb as well .

Old 10-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #12

Bruce... seeing that you have seen many of these Chinese bikes come with a trash at the needle and float then at this point I would suggest that he should remove the carb and take it apart and give it a good cleaning... but he should know what he is doing before he removes it... or get a buddy to help him .. then let's see what happens afterwards... if he lived close to me I would do it for him... and I know you other guys would too.. but before removing it I would shut the petcock off and leave fuel inside the bowl and see if it starts in a day or more... making sure that the bowl has gas or not in it... my thoughts on a bike with just 60 miles on it...
2004 Isuzu Rodeo
1998 Kia Sportage 4x4
2004 Toyota Tundra
2016 Ford Escape

Guitars

Amps

Old 10-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #13

Mine had casting material still stuck in the bowl and subsequently the jets.. It's a real issue.

But you state the peacock was closed? Did you wash it? is it water?

If you use a nondetergent oil "and you should", the water will sink to the bottom of the pan rasing the oil level.

A bit of fuel stink in the oil is normal, I mean gas is refined oil right..

Iv'e gotten water into my hawk engine while washing it a few times when it was new, I blame that shitty airbox, or maybey the power washer.

I noticed it while the bike warmed up the window would go white.. drained the oil, found water. New oil too.

Has this happened more than once?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

Great suggestions guys!!! I really appreciate the collective knowledge sharing!

I always close the petcock when done riding, but I will need to remove the fuel line to make sure petcock doesn't have a leak.

I have basic understandings of the carb, and wanted to play with one that's part of the reason I got this bike. Have been trying to ride more but I understand working on the bike is part of being a ChinaRider at this point.
A buddy of mine can work on the carb if I mess up. I prefer DIY if I can help it, it's part of the fun.

The factory oil had the correct level, but I changed out that oil after first rides. 2nd oil 10w50 was synthetic and I put in 1 quart, but that oil level quickly went up above the high mark. Currently on 3rd set of oil also synthetic 10w40 but I only put in 7/8 of a quart.

I have not used pressure washer on the bike yet, but I do wash it after every ride. Since water and oil doesn't mix, I checked my old oil and don't see any water in them.

Will report back with my findings soon!

Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki GSX-R 600

Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #15

Did you upgrade to a VM 26 Mikuni already, or are you on the stock?