Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #1

Zenden 150 cc CDI 5B21T replacement

Hi all

My dad has a Chinese Zenden 150 cc Quad ATV and is looking for a CDI model HECHENG 5B21T replacement. The measurements are 75x41x23mm, black and is a 6 wire model.

The bike will not start so I can't do the disconnect the battery trick to determine weather or not it is DC or AC. Is there a way to check the operation of the CDI to make sure it is U/S?

The bike just stopped and would not start again. The battery was fine, the guy in the shop swapped out a few CDI's but still no go but am unsure what type the shop was testing with.

I would like some help please trying to find a replacement model CDI, and weather or not it is a DC or AC CDI could I make one myself?

Cheers
Jeremy

Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #2

Ac/dc cdi

ALL You have to do is with the battery hooked up.. and key on.. check with a test light to see if there is DC voltage at the proper pin... I would think you have a pic of the wiring for this CDI.. if not google it.. you do not have to run it.. you can do other test on the cdi to check it out as well.. you could blow out the CDI if you hook up the wrong one.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #3

Do u have a blown fuse?

Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #4

Hi all

An Update to this problem.

Well after some advice on which CDI to get I have found out a few things

1. The CDI I needed was a DC model not an AC model and this was able to be confirmed via the 12VDC wire going to the unit thanks youtube!
2. We found the safety swtich on the Left hand side to be U/S and bypassed it (cheap micro switch)
3. On replacement of the CDI we could here the CDI Clicking which was a good thing, but no turn over.
4. For giggles and giggles we put the old one back in and there was nothing wrong with it as it had the same outcome as above.
5. We then checked the Spark Plug and all was good no clogging and was getting a spark
6. We then checked the started motor by removing the motor and doing an ohm check on the motor and saw the value change as expected when you turned the shaft.
7. We grounded the Starter Motor and after the second try had a breif startup so we tried again and it wizzed around at great speed.
8. We then put the starter motor back and it did start briefly, but we couldnt get it to start again so we took it out.
9. We thought we couldnt get a good enough earth as it wasnt turning over but we did get it to go a few times but just not constantly.
10. We replace the starter motor with a brand new one, but we also had another problem being fuel Lines.
11. We replace them with proper ones thanks to repco
12. By this time the battery wasnt to good and I cleaned up the connectors as they had some corrosion (I have seen worse) and the bike started first go.

Makes me think that the battery could of been the main problem all along, but at least we have a spare CDI and Starter motor for the next time they fail.

So she all works now and is good to go back to the farm Thanks to all that help

Cheers
Jeremy