View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #15

I think it's doable as long as you understand the fact that it is a 250...a good 250 but still a 250. This summer I did a 1500 mile ride up into Canada. Lot of mountain passes. I was fully loaded for camping. I had no issue on the flats holding the speed limit of 63mph(100kph) and even did fine when it was 69mph(110kph). Couldn't do the rare 75mph (120kph) freeway speed on highway 1 but that's because I have my bike geared down one in the front and up one in the back for better torque offroad. I do a LOT of offroad riding on mine. But once I was going up the passes my speed would drop down and I'd have to shift down a gear. It didn't bother me, I just made sure I was in the right lane and had fun passing semi trucking in and out of their lane. The bike has done some LONG days of 12-13 hours of these speeds without an issue. I also did the Baja ride last spring with CSC and we did about 2000 miles on that one...same deal...it rode great and there we didn't have much big hill climbs to have to move to the slow lane for. Even running at that speed all day my mileage was over 50mpg. I have a SpeedoDRD on my bike to correct the speedometer so these are true speeds. Normally I would start looking for fuel at around the 150 mile mark as it runs dry around 180 but I don't want to expose the fuel pump to excessive heat as it is in the tank and cooled by the fuel. It's a 4.2 gallon tank but between the fuel pump and float stuff in the tank it's reduced to about 3.9 and I try to leave just about a gallon in there for cooling of the pump. I just crossed over the 15000 mile mark on mine and it still solid!

Good luck on your research and have a great trip!

Joe