View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 10:02 AM   #13

Red states are immune to government stupidity? Pretty sure not.
I have fine DMV example. No safety or roadworthiness inspections statewide. If you can duck the highway patrol you can about drive anything with a tag. There's someone I see nearby with a Jeep Cherokee that's been rolled. The roof is cocked to one side and there's not a piece of glass in it. No lights of any kind on the front, nor a bumper. Got taillights and a tag. I've seen a 2000-ish Mustang in close to the same condition on the road. It's amazing.
In contrast. I bought a dead classic Mustang. A stripped rust pile with no drivetrain at all. To title it as a non-operative vehicle (project car) I would have to trailer it to the DMV and wait for a state trooper to show up to inspect it and verify the VIN. Why? No one knows. Simple end run was to insure it and get a license plate like it was a roadworthy vehicles. Two days later I canceled the insurance and turned the tag back in. I actually did exactly that. In talking to the insurance agent I got the impression they knew exactly what I was doing and it was nothing new to them at all.

Years back we had a guy who ran for governor who made a campaign promise that he would streamline the DMV. Unbelievably he somehow made good on it. I was literally blown away. The DMV I go to would have people lined up outside the door on Friday afternoons. I went on another day and there was one person in there getting a driver's license. My first thought was that I'd have to come back as the computers were all down or something and I'd have to come back. Nope, streamlined. Bang, boom, down and out the door. DMV people loitering waiting for the next person to come in. I still can't believe it. As long as he was governor it stated that way. No idea of the man's name or what else he might have accomplished but it was great for a while.
He was succeeded by Nikki Hailey who could care less about the DMV so apparently they wasted no time rebuilding all the bureaucratic barriers to keep citizens from breezing in and out of the DMV. And on Friday people are lined up out the door just like the old days. The current governor also has no interest, it was just that one guy that one time I guess.

The really stupid part is I could be trying to tag a full-on motocross bike or dune buggy with no lights at all that has no business being on the street and I could do it as long as the pieces of paper the DMV wants said the right things on them. Dumb as hell.