View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 01:15 PM   #6

Made an update to the album.

Started putting things back together.

A little backstory on what happened over the last few weeks:

The spare harness I has was made useless by the one cat I have who things that chewing on toilet paper rolls and plastic are fun. She didn't do a lot of damage to the harness, and actually removed the battery power and ground wire for me. Lol. but, the only other wire she tore up was the power wire to the CDI. I was over it, because it was on the Stator side of the harness, and not the chassis side.

I decided to just buy another Harness, specifically for kick start, so I didn't have to worry about removing wires. This one also came with a stator, but it caused problem later on.

Anyway, parts arrived. I went with a new shock (DNM MK-AR in 290mm), and fork (Generic Amazon fork in 700mm). I went shorter on the shock and fork than stock, as to make up for the 12" wheels. I don't think I threw off the geometry too much, but we shall find out.

I also bumped up from a 14 tooth stock front sprocket to a 16 tooth front sprocket. That, paired with the 39 tooth rear sprocket will either make me really slow, or make the bike feel decent. Thankfully, sprockets are cheap. I'll get over it, either way.

The bike also got the Nibbi PE24FL that was going on my kids X-moto. I decided the 110 didn't need upgrades, so it goes on this bike. lol. I also threw in a new plug. The very odd ATC7 had a three prong electrode, sort of like an e3 spark plug. Didn't matter to me. I'll trust my NGK more.

So, after installing the new stator and sprocket, I tried to install the cover. I was very obviously hitting on something, preventing the cover to go on correctly. After looking at a few things, I figured it was the bigger sprocket. Well okay then. Out comes the dremel, and I grind away. After making more than enough space, I test fit again, and I'm still hitting something. I check for sprocket clearance, and it looks clear. I try and figure where the jamb up is, and I deduce it's the freaking stator!!! I compare the old stator to the new stator, and the bracket for the magnetic pickup is bigger than on the original. It sticks out a little further than it should. Out comes the dremel again, and I grind it down. Another test fit, still not working! WTF?!?!? Looks like the stator itself is protruding more than the original. Well, I can't grind that down. Time to start on the cover. Again, with the dremel! After a bit more grinding, and three more tries to see where I sit, I finally get it. JEEZ!

After that, I install the carb and wire harness. Add some oil, because I know I'll forget. Then, clean the exterior of the fuel tank and test fit that, to see if the wire harness will hit it. Also, found out I need a few new bolts. I've lost the bolts that held the fuel tank, and one of the bolts for the shock stripped, I'm guessing on assembly from the previous owners.

I'm trying to install the rear tire myself, as I don't want to pay the price to get it mounted. lol. It's a PITA, though. I've gotten one side of the tire on, but the other end just won't go. It's like a need another hand, and the third bar to pry the damned thing over the edge. I'm gonna try the zip tie' gorilla tape trick after the front tire comes in. lol.

Anyway, my new suit is on the way, my kid's suit will be coming from Europe or Pakistan sometime soon. If this bike is running, then I'll start drilling him, and can hopefully get him racing soon.