View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Andy View Post
Why do almost all motorcycle engines have exhaust that exits on the front and intake on the back?

To me it makes more sense to have intake on the front (ram air potential) and exhaust exit at the back of a 4-stroke. Exhaust on the back would probably be better for air cooled engines as well. Plus exhaust systems could be made shorter therfore bikes could be made cheaper.

It would be a mess if you tried to fit a 2-stroke exhaust behind an engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
I have had the same thought. I guess since they have been making them that way for so long that it would be pretty expensive to design and retool for such a bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Building a motorcycle one has to think about where that engine will live, relative to the wheelbase. In most cases you want the weight to be distributed 50/50 front to rear. If you put the intake on the front that means you have to position the bulk of the engine farther back so the intake tract (fuel injection, air box, etc) do not hit the front wheel. Most manufacturers opt to put the exhaust side fwd and intake aft so it is easier to package everything. Maybe BMW has figured a way to make this work, time will tell.

Peter Y.
So I take it none of you fella's have seen the yamaha YZF/WR250 thats been around for a couple years now....

google is your freind...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com