View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
I never buy a motorcycle and leave it stock. Where's the fun in that?! :P

Just knowing there is upgrade potential will make me happy. I'm always looking for new fun projects over the winters.

Charles.
Stock sucks!

TW bored and stroked to 276cc, XT225 6-speed, clutch, and kick start, ported and polished TT230-R head with bigger valves and more radical cam, custom stainless exhaust with reverse cone megaphone dumping into tubular glass pack followed by spark, arrestor, MicroSquirt/Delphi EFI (home built, almost the same as RX3), ..., adventure accessories, pretty much rides like a RX3. Tdub2.

Similar engine with TT-R trans (closer low gear ratios) and clutch, head shaved for a bit more compression but otherwise similar, bit more radical cam, similar exhaust with shorter pipes (favors high rpm power), but a fatter Mikuni instead of EFI, in highly modified TW frame with aluminum swing arm and graphite/ceramic 17-inch wheels, sticky barely legal sport tires, and triple discs. It takes a highly modified Ninja to keep up. Tdub3.

Similar engine to Tdub2 with stock valves, less porting, RX3 Delphi EFI, milder cam, XT trans and clutch, 26/8.00-14 Carlisle Terrathon rear, stock rear front, triple discs. Tdub4.

There are a couple fun projects for you, any will cost triple what a RX3 does if you are a good scavenger, and really not a whole lot better. 21.0, 24.6, and 31.3hp, not in that order. Well, the café racer is a lot better at going fast on tight, paved roads, but only until the ergos cause back pain. The mud hawg passes stuck 4x4 wheelers on a regular basis, but pretty much sucks on the highway.

Retiring with no responsibilities, no debts, and severe boredom results in such things. What's next?

Now I'm tinkering with a 2003 Nighthawk 750, minimum maintenance with 0-ring chain and hydraulic followers, and no jetting with the MicroSquirt/Delphi EFI now going together. This bike will be a cross country touring standard. I really enjoyed my last Nighthawk 750, except the handlebars and footpegs were both to high, and the seat was a bit too hard. Adding a layer of foam under a custom cover will make all the rest of the stock parts fit. A couple teeth on the wheel sprocket will make the aeros of luggage less a factor. I don't cherish the thought of 300 pounds more weight slinging around a Gold Wing or Ultra Classic would require.