Thread: DeSoto
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #7

Had a few hiccups today.

State of Illanoys onerous registration process reared it's ugly head and PO'd me royally. I won't go into the gory details but some strongly voiced phone calls went out to some people that just said, "Yes sir. Yes sir".

Dad said that he hadn't tuned up the engine in years. There are boxes full of parts in the back of the Chevy that include tune up stuff but no plugs. For grins, I just threw in new plugs. I found the old plugs, that I probably could have cleaned and regapped, weren't in all that tight. I mean just a slight twist of the wrist loose.

Replaced the plugs and it starts and idles better. Took it for a spin and suddenly it's popping out of gear and if I hold the lever in place, it won't up shift. Talked to Dad and he said that the popping out of gear started when he replaced the motor mounts so I think something may be out of line. May need to just loosen the mounts and rev the engine a few times, then retighten the mounts.

It looks like the lack of an upshift may be caused by the new plugs. Idle needs to be between 450-500 for the slush box to shift up properly and I bet I'm closer to 600. Time to dig out my old tach and dwell meters.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts