View Single Post
Old 02-08-2024, 06:22 PM   #1

Da 90 Year Old Lathe

I figured I'd just start a thread on the lathe.

I did some learning. It is a Craftsman Metalcraft 918, not the 910 as I was told. Pretty darn simple name. 9" swing with 18" between the centers. It's the same age as my Dad. It was made by Atlas for Sears and the only difference between the Atlas and Sears 9" lathe was the style of the feet of the bed. The feet on the Sears version were somewhat stylized and the Altas feet were plain. $64.50 out the door in 1935. I probably paid the same amount, but in 2024 dollars.

I moved all the toys from the west bay of the barn, swept the floor, and backed the truck to the door. I took off the motor, a heavy puppy, and the tail stock while it was in the truck. Then maneuvered it, carefully, on to my ramps.

From the ramp to the creeper.

And from the creeper to magically getting itself up on the bench and back together.

Actually, it took three hands to slide the heavy poop up the ramp. I got smart and took the chuck off. I poked a large eye screw into the bench and ran a chain through it to the bed. Looped the chain to the bed, then simultaneously pulled the chain towards me while pushing the lathe up the ramps. And also keeping it straight. Once the head stock was on the bench, I could swing it and get the whole thing on the bench. I put the motor back on, swung it another 180 and moved to where it's going to live. Then I stopped for lunch.

Tomorrow, it gets bolted down. I found a reprint of the manual and once that arrives, I'll start going through it and hopefully figure out that funky transmission. I found my old copy of 'How To Run A Lathe' in a box with our old high school year books. It was an old copy when I got it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts