View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
Interesting thread.
I only just started riding on the road regularly last year.
I was torn when it came to gear, but came to a solid conclusion on a recent trip abroad.
A quality helmet is a no-brainer (no joke intended), but how far do you take it? Jacket, pants, leathers?
I believe that accidents are unlikely, and individually, quite rare.
It has become very common for people to outfit themselves with all the latest gear. Some for safety, my bet is, most as accessory.
I take my chances, and ride accordingly. I have work boots, a good helmet, and jeans.
I don't drive a Volvo because they are superior from a safety standpoint.
I don't care if my car has air bags, and even drive without my seatbelt, in the country. I don't plan to wipe out.
This is 1 member's opinion, and in no way represents the opinions or the direction of this site.

I don't plan to wipe out.

This is the most illogical and stupidly dangerous statement I've read on this site. Kudos Sir.

Plan for a wipe out so that you are prepared when it happens. If you haven't wiped out yet, you will if you ride long enough.

my bet is, most as accessory

Gear is not an accessory, it's a philosophy! Sitting in the Hospital with road rash clarifies this point to a fine edge. I know this from experience. Ask red2003 about his wipeout. Ask Ambassador. Safety starts long before you throw a leg over your bike. What you do and how you ride is your own deal. Have at it. But the question was.

You're 17, ou've just shot your summer's savings on a Bike, and have a 15 year old Belstaff helmet, your grandfather left in the attic. You've got $100 free on your next paycheck. What are you buying?

You are telling a 17 year old kid who reads this a year from now that gear is pretty much an untruth, an accessory that he doesn't have to buy into like all his friends.

I only just started riding on the road regularly last year. Finally, something that makes sence.