View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Hrm, any chance the RX3 could be fitted with a dual-sprocket setup? It's a common mod on the TW200, and it's something that was fitted to a lot of enduros back in the 70s.

Charles.
My experience with dual sprockets has been misalignment--either one sprocket or the other is misaligned too much, or both sprockets are misaligned not quite so much. I then tried swapping out one sprocket or the other and multiple master links and chain sections. What a hassle remembering what goes with what, and weird noises from uneven wear on various components. I took to keeping a complete final drive for each ratio and just swapped them out, but that was simply not pratical when I discovered TWs. I did fit one bike with custom countershafts and twin wheels chosen so the same chain would fit both sets. SWEET! Finally, I discovered the best solution was different bikes tweeked for different purposes.

I could probably get by with misaligned sprockets today since I could line up the set used 99% of the time and misalignment wouldn't be that big a deal 1% of the time.