View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #26

Welding and grinding

Well folks after a marathon session I decided I may as well address the valve cover clearance issue now while I have the motor dropped. This has been a real learning rxperience (not one I wanted so soon however). I cut out that top frame weld seam line which was causing the clearance issue and also ground off the cooling fins of the valve cover. The fins were removed from the left to help removal to the right side. I used a Dewalt metal cutting blade on a reciprocating saw and went at it. Didnt look so nice after this was done but I continued on with the welding. One time, somone said said something about the steel quality on these bikes was not so good. I just think it was due to the steel being thin, and went threw several settings on my wire feed welder till I got it dialed in. Basically had to set it down to lowest setting and used daube and move technique similar to auto body welding. And upside down welding is never fun.

After I finished welding , repainted with rust converter primer and heavy brush coat of satin BBQ black paint I had on hand. Valve cover was ground down as much as possible without damaging that top oil channel. Painted with life fitness platinum metallic spray and over coated everything with clear gloss spray. I wanted to make sure to try to stop any rust as much as possible in our humid climate.

Spud, I appreciate your patience with me concerning my value clearance questions. My intake was set correctly at around .05mm but my exhaust was at .0mm. Hence this was the tapping sound I always reported hearing since it was new, just not from the exhaust valve. I read everything I could and especially the csc blog on the subject and figured it out. I set the exhaust valve at about .07mm.

I put everything back together and decided not to try the carb. Mod. Didn't want to chase multiple issues in case I got the valve clearance wrong. Then I wouldn't know what was causing the problem, carb or valves.

All back together and started right up no harm no foul. Seems to run the same but may be breathing better with correct exhaust clearence. Top speed has gained mabey 2 MPHbut not sure if that was just because it was a good high pressure atmosphere day we are having now (noticed how atmosphere effects how it runs)

So,,, according to number 1, first rule of China rider forum (it didn't happen if no pics), here are the compressed pics (found a pic compressor app)
Name:  20160503_104902-800x600.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  20160503_104913-800x600.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  20160503_105620-800x600.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  20160503_112222-800x600.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  20160503_113419-800x600.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  70.5 KB
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~