View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #17

The latest thing I learned for using the Nuvi on the bike is the use of waypoints in an interesting fashion. Waypoints let you mark a spot on the map, say a gas station, and provide some details. In BaseCamp if you open the properties of a waypoint you can add a couple of things there are useful. You can add a distance Proximity in ft or mi and will be alerted on the GPS display when you are close. You can also add a Category for a series of waypoints. With these two things done you can download and install the free Garmin POI Loader. It will add the waypoints into the GPS in a special way that allows you to easily search for them and see the details along with the proximity alerts. Very cool and when combined with my direct routing script will tell me when I am close to scenic areas, gas stations, camping, hotels, etc. this is coming together nicely.

It's first full test starts on July 2nd when I leave with a buddy for a 10 day trip. We are heading from the Seattle area up to Hyder Alaska then to Telegraph Creek and then Nugget City in the Yukon, east to Fort Nelson, down the glacier parkway to Jasper and Banff and then back into Eastern WA and home. Anyone else been to Alaska on an RX3 yet? Hoping I am the first to plant that flag.