View Single Post
Old 07-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7sithis View Post
Oh, that's sweet! One of the several reasons I decided to get my hawk and start riding is finding sweet places to run my crawlers. Even a 1/10 fits right in my backpack (well, it did before EMSA cut my bag up).

How do you like the ECX? I've thought about getting one cause you can find them so cheap, but worried about reliability and parts availability. I run my bashers with my dogs and when they catch one well....even the arrmas get broke from time to time. Usually go through a body or two a year, few pinion gears, a motor....something. Lol.

I need to fix my area up, bad. I have little hangers for my cars as well, they're usually all hung up with the bike gear by my workbench but as you can tell from the pic I just kinda...gave up for a while. All that stuff sitting there needed something fixed, besides the .22 lol
Base camp, senton, kraton and TRX4m all broke something back to back.
I'm right there with you on the Hawk, but for me it's to find flying sites for my RC airplanes.

The ECX lineup is what Traxxas was 20 years ago. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Traxxas sold the old molds to Horizon Hobby and it's just re-branded...kinda like these China bikes! lol They are plastic and there are failure points, most notably the shoulder bolt in the front steering c-block. It likes to pull out. Easily solved with aluminum upgraded c-block and a little blue loctite. The other failure point is the plastic slider drive shafts, they like to twist. I upgraded to the Traxxas big beefy plastic drive shafts, been on ever since. Then the usual RPM upgrades...steering system, a-arms, etc. New steering servo. The shocks will do ok, but the Traxxas big bores are the way to go. I bought the brushless version, which I'm not even sure if they sell it anymore. Still running the same ESC and motor that it came with...going on like 5 years or so. But, I don't run them a lot...usually just racing, no bashing. I've beat on the bone stock one with a kicker ramp. So far it's held up. All it needed was a new 17t motor. It's brushed and the 15t it comes with is just too weak to run it.

I should post a pic of my workshop...makes yours look clean.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin