View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner
I'm a little confused here, It is a front tyre you're after? A number of the tyres listed are REAR tyres, from a saftey point I'd be VERY dubious about putting a rear tyre on the front. Here in the UK you'd be open to prosecution for using an unsuitable tyre.

Jonathan.
Thank you for pointing this out, Jonathan; you raise an important issue. I intended to ask the opinion of others regarding that issue in this post, but I forgot.

In doing my research I only considered tires with a non-directional tread pattern. I inquired about safety concerns regarding this practice in the service departments of several, local motorcycle dealers. I also asked my friend, a professional mechanic and experienced motorcyclist of several decades. No one I talked to was alarmed this practice would constitute a safety concern on the non-drive wheel of a motorcycle with the weight and engine displacement of the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2.

I am also unaware of any legal ramifications that could result from this practice in The United States of America. However, I certainly could be wrong. In addition, the attorneys in The United States of America, and I presume elsewhere, frequently have a different perspective than I. It is also important to consider that China Riders is an international forum, and the law could certainly be different in other countries. Therefore, I certainly do not want to mislead, or endanger, anyone, either in The United States of America, or elsewhere.

I certainly welcome further discussion on this important topic from the other members of this forum. If I have made any errors, I certainly hope others will correct me. Also, if anyone knows of any other suitable tires for the Zongshen 200GY-2 front wheel, I certainly hope he will post the information.

Thank you for your commitment to the truth, and your concern for the safety of others, Jonathan. I appreciate your thoughtful insight regarding this important matter.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894