View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 02:25 AM   #16

You should come with us , they said, It will be fun, they said.....................

Thank you everyone for the arse condolences and the congrates on this little venture. And congratulations to DSchic for your accomplishing an IB. I do feel your pain. Does this make us fox hole buddies?
At 59 years old I think the warrantee has expired on this body of mine. The worse pain I have is in my neck and shoulder area. Felt like ice picks going into my neck and back from the degenerative disks I have. I took a couple of ibuprofen every couple of hours to keep the pain down. But like DSchic said it's not the ride that hurts so much as the next few days after your body tells you "What where you thinking"
I wanted to do this IB for 2 reasons 1) to see if the RX3 could do it and 2) to see if I could do it. I have a Honda NC700x that would of done it just fine. but where's the challenge in that?
We left Walla Walla, Wa at 4 AM in the dark with 6 other guys and 1 girl all riding Harley, Victories, Indian and I think a Yamaha. You can see a pic of us here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rider...48653721944905

I told them I understood that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them once we got to Oregon and Idaho where the speeds were 75 and 80 on I84 and we all just needed to ride our own ride to survive this. We chose this weekend because it has the longest daylight of the summer and wanted to take advantage of that.
Within an hour we were headed up Cabbage Hill and low 30 deg temps. My fingers were so cold I couldn't operate the switches cause of numbness. I had the heated grips and jacket liner on for hours on end and I was so thankful CSC had given us 300 watt alternators which never failed to deliver enough juice. At first fuel stop I bought a pair of thinsulate gloves and they kept my hands warm but were thick and caused my hands to tire easily cause they just weren't ment for cycle riding. The heated grips kept the inside of my hands warm but the cold air going over the back of hands froze them.
We came down into La Grand were the temps were rising and the sun was coming up. Overall perfect weather for the ride other then the 30 deg temps early on.
From then on it was a game of cat and mouse riding where the group would disappear down the highway and pull over for gas break , then I would catch up with them , we would take off , they would disappear till next gas stop.
I'll post this now and keep writing short posts till we get back home to Walla Walla.