View Single Post
Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

High Idle When Engine Hot

Hello and thanks to everyone for their continued help. After finally getting my motorcycle running again, I noticed it get a very high idle when engine is hot. Usually I start it with the kickstart with the choke on, then after about 10min or so I will turn the choke off. Everything is fine and working correctly, but after about 20-25min of driving, the extremely high idle begins. I don't notice it so much in the higher gears, but when slowing down or being stopped at things like traffic lights, red lights, etc, it sounds like I'm holding the throttle open in neutral! The idle screw is pretty far down, so I'm not sure if its too high/low/etc.

The carb is brand new, and even though it sat for a while, it never had gas ran through it and while it sat, the gas tank was empty and removed. Fuel lines are 100%, no clogging, etc. Brand new stator, brand new CDI, spark plug is DR8EA, battery is completely dead, but works fine once kickstarted (purchasing new one this week).

I was looking around online to try and find a good example of the idle, and the video below seems to be the best example, however mine doesn't really idle THAT loudly, but its pretty close. Again, it doesn't start that until after the engine gets hot, when its cool/warm, everything is fine.

I checked to make sure the cable coming from the carb wasn't overly loose or too tight, etc and everything looked fine to me, but I'm also relatively clueless. Valves are set for factory specs. If it makes any difference, the gearing is set now at 14/46 if that is needed.

Attached Images