View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #6

Rats

We had beautiful weather here Saturday so some friends an I rode 200 miles to go check out their cabin that is by Layman Hot Springs in Oregon. We went up the old Emigrant Pass where the lads got to navigate the twisties of the old highway.
On the way back my RX3 was running fine till after we stopped for lunch. Then it would act like when you hit the kill button while going down the road ,it just would go dead. At 40-50mph I would pull in the clutch and let it back out which bump started it again and I continued on till we got to the next town 30 miles away. Every few minutes it would die, pull in clutch lever and bump start it and continue on before coming to a halt. Thankfully almost no traffic out where we were. My friend asked if I was running out of gas. Looked in tank and there was plenty sloshing around. Trip meter had 178 on it and I knew I could go to 200+.
Oh boy I thought , I'd finally get to use some of that 2 year warranty. Out in the middle of nowhere is the place to use your warrantee, gives you more bragging rights I always say.
I would call up CSC and they would coddle me and tell me exactly this and that an what was wrong and parts would be on the way pronto. I was thinking a new fuel injector or maybe a computer brain thingy or a fuel pump would be just the ticket warrantee wise.
I also unplugged the clutch lever safety switch wires thinking maybe they were the problem since when I pulled the clutch in and out it would bump start right up. I pinched them a little as they were loose on the mating connection but that didn't stop the dying. Next I looked at the sensor with allen screw that is on the throttle body, but couldn't get it off as it was roasting hot in there by the motor and exhaust pipe.
Friend kept asking me if I was running out of gas? Didn't think so ,still sloshing and under 200 miles on trip meter. Anyways we finally got to Pilot Rock and filled up at the gas station. 2.78 gallons. Fired it up and headed out of town and it bobbled a little then cleared up and ran like a banshee for the next hour all the way home. Whaaaaat????? But it wouldn't idle at stop lights so I pulled over with my friend as we got into town to say our goodbyes an I thought I would adjust the idle screw to get the idle back where it needs to be. Still to hot to get my hands in there so I thought I'd just leave it for tomorrow.
Anyway when I got back to my house the idle was where it was supposed to be an I hadn't touched or fixed anything????? just added gas and shut it off and restarted it several times.
So looking back on my adventure I think it was running out of gas and sloshing about not able for fuel pump to get enough gas, but I have never experienced it acting this way before at less then 200 miles on tank. Once I filled tank up problem went away in 30 seconds. The idling issue I assume was computer trying to compensate for all the dying and restarting nonsense while going down the road and maybe it got confused???? Is there a servo motor thingy that adjusts something somewhere that would affect idle?
Could a pick up tube have come off in the tank. I did have the tank off to adjust valves and maybe something inside came loose or flopped over when I put tank on it's back to keep fuel from running out?
Dou you think it hurt the fuel pump any running it low and starving it for gas?
Any ideas?
And what's the use of having a 2 year warranty if I never get to use it anyway and the bike kinda heals itself ???? dang Chinese stuff rj