View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #18

Yesterday I went for my second ride in the dirt on my Zongshen RX3. The previous ride I did not adjust the rebound damping of the shock absorber. Before this ride I inspected the rebound damping, and discovered it had 16 settings, numbered from fastest to slowest. The bike arrived with the shock adjusted to setting #4. Before this I ride I immediately adjusted the rebound damping to a slower setting of #11. I then rode some pavement before I arrived at the off road portion of my ride.

I am a heavier rider, and the slower rebound setting was much more comfortable, and smoother for me riding the pavement. Arriving at a gravel rode, I rode a little bit before I adjusted the rebound damping to an even slower setting of #13.

I weigh more than 200 pounds, and the ride was even more comfortable for me at the yet slower setting. I then reached a short section of pavement before I headed onto some fire roads.

Reaching the fire roads, I set the rebound damping to its slowest setting of #16. I rode of the rest of the ride with the rebound damping set at this level, and I am going to keep it there. The RX3 performed much better for me with the slowest rebound damping of the shock absorber. Lighter riders will probably choose a faster setting. Personally, I intend to lose some weight.

The rebound damping adjustment of the shock absorber works well, and is a very nice feature. The primary suspension issue which needs to be addressed is the short suspension travel (5.1 inches), and the fast rebound damping of the forks. The rebound damping can be slowed by filling the forks with a heavier fork oil. I intend to start my experimentation with Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF, which has a viscosity of 28.2 cSt at 40 degrees Celsius. This is roughly equivalent to a fork oil viscosity of 7.5W, and will give me a yardstick from which to measure the stock fork oil.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894