View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBeege
Sorry guys. Had a company trip last week. Things went beautifully. I did something slightly wrong - high beams + normals are mixed up, but it works! Still is pointing down, though. I have trouble reading street signs on dimly lit roads :/

Quick blurb about how I did it in case someone else comes along looking to do the same:
Detached the front fairings and mirrors from the frame. Detached the headlight assembly from the fairings. Disconnected the plastic coupler so that I could play with the headlight aside from everything else. Pulled the bulb + socket out of the lamb assembly. Cut the wires to the large bulb. Removed the rubber... bulb thing? Crimped the cut wires from the plastic coupler to the new H4 socket - supposedly it doesn't matter which wire goes to which, but that may be why my high-beams and normals are mixed up. Inserted the H4 bulb into the socket (don't touch the bulb part!!). Put the socket+bulb back into the lamp assembly - no cutting required, but it did take a little force. It was super snug in the lamp assembly, so I didn't feel the need to use the rubber bulb (also, I forgot to put it around the H4 socket wires, anyway). I just duct taped the hell out of the socket on the lamp assembly once I was done, but not quite yet. Reconnected the plastic coupler on the assembly to the bike's electrical system. Positioned the assembly and did a test run. Lights turned on fine, but they were pointing the wrong direction. Rotated the H4 socket+bulb in the assembly, tested again, then duct taped. Put everything back together and win

The lights pointing down is still a problem for freeway riding in the desert at night, which is troublesome as my girlfriend lives an hour away in the middle of the desert :( I've just been making her come down here XD Any ideas on that front?

EDIT: Oh, and the brightness is absolutely excellent. Good call on upgrading to the H4 She dims a bit when the signal comes on, but I was having that issue when the old bulb, too.