View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #12

Took the intake valve out last night, but didn't get any pictures of it nor the seat. It looked good, though. If you'd handed me the valve alone and said 'have a look at this valve', I'd have said it was fine. Virtually no deposits built up on the valve. Valve seat looked the same - no evidence of damage or nicks, etc.

I did a very brief lapping job and got what looked like good contact all around. The only thing unusual was the lap band was pretty wide - basically the full width of the valve contact edge. I'm used to seeing the contact band a little narrower.

I put it back together and unfortunately, acetone still leaked thru immediately. So, I'll do more lapping and try again. I'll get some pictures this evening.

The head of the valve was perfectly flat, and there didn't appear to be any runout - ie, stem not bent as far as I could tell. This goes along with no evidence of impact on the piston.

As for the pushrods, I don't have V-blocks nor a dial indicator to check properly, but my pushrods have a different look than the picture Humanbeing showed. My pushrods have larger ends and a smaller, 'necked-down' diameter over their length. When I roll the pushrods on the glass, you can just barely see that there's a bow. I suppose I could use feeler gauges to sort of measure the gap, but I'd say for sure less than 1/32". Maybe about 0.010"?

Hopefully this evening, I'll get it lapped properly. If not, I'll have to order a new valve I guess.

Last edited by KirkN; 08-20-2015 at 12:43 PM.