View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMike View Post
Hello all. I have been busy with work and havent had time to really participate in the forum. I have a few questions for you and hope you can offer some help. My AKT 250TT here in Colombia has been running great. Just a few minor issues that were easy to resolve. I now have 2000km on it. However last week it started to idle very high after it warmed up. Usually around 4000rpm. Then the engine sound changed and the heat from the engine seemed to increase drastically but the gauge actually started to read lower than normal. I took the bike for service to a shop that I feel is very competent. I picked the bike up and it was rough to start (3 attempts) which is not normal for me. Usually starts right up on the first bump of the starter. I always use the choke in the mornings and always fires right up. The bike seemed to run smooth for the short ride home (8 minutes). The next day the bike did not want to start and the choke seemed to have no affect on it. The bike is idling very low (for me anyway) at about 1500rpm. The mechanic really likes a low idle. I was struggling keeping the bike running especially when cold. Constantly bumping the throttle at each stop. The engine now sounds completely different to me. In first gear at take-off its very sluggish and sounds like an old tractor. Usually rides smoothly once rpm and speeds increase but the sound is still off to me. Its just not the same bike and it changed over night without warning. I am taking it back to the mechanic tonight but want to give him some ideas based on feedback from your collective experience. After the first visit he told me he only had to adjust the carb and clutch. I know my descriptions arent great but hoping someone has experienced this or heard of such issues and can offer some insight.
I think you might need to adjust the pilot mixture screw (PMS) of your carburetor. If the PMS is set too rich, the idle speed will increase greatly after the engine gets hot.

You need to adjust the PMS with a hot, not warm engine. After the PMS is adjusted properly, you can adjust the idle speed screw.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894