View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #40

I'll try to get my buddy Joe to take some video of me riding the Stealth at the Overland Expo this week/weekend. The speed is a little overwhelming. You don't realize how fast 35mph is, until you try it on a bicycle. Of course, I want more. We'll be shooting for 60mph bursts with this bike as we upgrade it this Winter. 60mph sounds like a crazy number but when I commute to work, I'd like to be able to get out of the way, if I need to. At those speeds, the tires become the issue. We will make it a non-issue with motorcycle wheels and tires. I'll be using the Shinko 241 trials motorcycle tires in 19/21". The wheels will be built using Excel 1.85" rims. I will also use the NeuTech TUbliss system that I previously used on my KLX250SF. At these lower speeds balancing will not be a problem. The wheels will be sealed with ATV tire sealant. You don't want a flat on a bicycle at 60mph. The NeuTech system removes 3lbs from the weigh compared to regular tubed tires. That will help and make flat tires and changing flat tires non-existant. Also, the tires will last forever!

I honestly feel that my past motorcycle experiences will translate well into this project. I've learned a lot with other projects both good and bad. This bike really has me excited about riding again. I've probably said that a lot.

In a week or so, I will be ordering a new Russian made Adaptto Max-E 10kW controller. I believe my current controller is good for 5kW but my bike is 3kW. You can see where we are going. When I say we, I mean me and the guys that are helping me. I'm learning quite a bit, very fast but I'm not there yet. I'm not happy buying the Adaptto controller from Russia, given the current state of affairs but they make the best controller for the high-power eBikes. It's really coming through a new internet friend in Sweden so, the point is moot.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II