Thread: Jonway BWS 50
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

I wouldn't mess with the engine, IMO. These Chinese scooters seem to have very solid engines--but when they are left alone inside. I am really thinking for the long-term when you plan to get a larger bike for your wife, and will be able to sell the scoot...running! However, if you look at it as a project, and you can write it off if the bike's engine dies, then I would encourage you to play with the bore kits, otherwise, you will have to accept the fact that the bike will live all day at 30, maximum.

My friend's scooter has been parked at my house for a few weeks now while a battery was supposed to have been ordered. It is a Lintex 50cc BWS replica, very similar to your wife's bike in that it has the wide tires but looks like a European-spec Yamaha Zuma (with two headlights, side by side) rather than the US version like your wife's (I prefer the one you have as far as looks go). It is all broken in with over 3100 indicated miles and will hit 35 mph, but Yuma is mostly flat.

I can kick-start the bike, but with a diminishing battery, it gets harder and harder, and is not fun in the 110 F heat after several kicks, but it still starts up. I have swapped out the battery from my TMEC, and the scooter starts right up (which made for an easy diagnosis--taking the hot sun into account as far as what needed repairs), but my friend is not eager to get the bike back as she has no license and recently got a ticket for that as well as making an unsafe right turn (it wasn't a speeding ticket, LOL) in that when she turned onto a street with two lanes in the same direction, she turned into the second, outer lane; ironic in that she made her turn at a four way stop, meaning any traffic that would have been traveling in her direction would have had to wait for her right of way, as the officer tried to tell her it was 'dangerous'. I might order a battery so I can keep riding it...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard