View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 08:56 PM   #5

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
If it started with a jump, and the charging system checks out, then charge the battery. A floating battery maintainer/charger costs about $35.
That’s just good advice even before encountering any battery issues. From day one I got the Harbor Freight VIKING 4Amp Fully Automatic Microprocessor-Controlled Battery Charger/Maintainer unit. It came with NMEA quick plugs that I could screw to the battery leaving the tail end in the hole in the side plastic under the seat. Easy to get to and pull out at the end of a ride.

At the end of every ride I plug it in and leave it on until next time I ride. It always shows an over-charge immediately following a ride and discharges the battery a small amount then charges it until at optimum long term holding charge holding it there until next ride.

This is how I have gotten flawless years of service from the stock OEM battery that came with the Templar X 250.

Because I now have to leave the bike at work away from the charger/maintainer for twelve hour shifts, I have since added battery operated nipple clamps (tiny lithium smart jump starter) to my arsenal and take it with me everywhere in the bottom of my backpack. I have never had to use it at all so far, knock on wood. But if I do I am fully prepared not to need a tow, or on the road service call. Boy scout motto always be prepared.

The rest of the post is also good information.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility