View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 04:59 PM   #11

"Most of the world goes where they need to with what they have and consider it just another trip. Throw some cheap saddle bags on whatever scooter you decide to buy zip tie a milk crate to the carrier frame, fill the under-seat compartment with food and water and take a trip."

A while back I saw an interview with the pres. of Royal Enfield. He was asked what the greatest challenge of his engineering staff was. His reply was that the people of India consider every bike a universal tool. They expect to use if for commuting, touring long distances, off roading, and farm work. Specialty bikes do not exist in their minds.

Itchy Boots posted a new video today. She is in the Central African Republic. At minute 16 in the video she passes a long line of native ridden bikes on the side of a mud track that goes forever. If you slow down the speed and look closely at the line of grounded bikes you will count at least 4 different standard scooters among the assorted motorcycles the locals are riding. Anything that looks like an "adventure bike" in that grouping is scarce and if one were ever to be on an "adventure track" that certainly is one.

Some adventures happen on the dirt, some on pavement. It appears that a standard scooter, r a standard motorcycle, can do both if called on to do so.

I have 4 bikes. A Himalayan, a Chinese dual sport, a 150cc scooter and a "50cc" scooter. I live in Kentucky and have limited access to actual "off roading". Fact being that I have to trailer my bikes to get to off road destinations.

Still, I consider loading up my Dual sport or my 150cc scooter with gear and goodies and making the run down KY HY127 from the Ohio river to the Cumberland River on the TN state line an accomplishment and an "adventure". It is an overnight trip that can be made by camping or a motel stay and there is the ride back which makes it a 2 day overnight trip on two lane and backroads, even if they are paved.

In comparison, I consider a run from home to the nearest real town 20 miles away, on my 50cc, an adventure. Just riding that thing around the back roads and surviving is an adventure!

As for the "adventure scooter" I am confused at the feeling that there are none or that they are much different from the standard scooter, or that it matters.

My 150cc beast was bought used and had been scuffed slightly. I patched a couple of cracks with fiberglass and shot $20 worth of Krylon camo paint on it and mounted a 30L cargo box and some cheap "leather" saddle bags and have been driving it like that for 3 years. It easily holds gear and food for an overnight camp and my only complaint is the small fuel tank. Needless to say I am not concerned over what anyone thinks of its looks, or me for riding it for that matter.

I could put heavy duty shocks and knobby tires on it but I don't need too for what I do.