View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #32

Here's the continuation of my 19" front wheel story from page 2 of this thread.

Checked the grease in the bearings of the new wheel. It had a sufficient amount, but I added a bit more.

Mounted the new Shinko 705 (110/80-19).

Then the fun began. I tried to remove the front brake rotor from the stock 18" wheel.

I used a heat gun on high for 5 minutes, and still stripped the head on the first rotor bolt I tried to remove......

I've lost count of the number of stripped bolt heads and bolt threads on this bike.

So I ordered a new stock rotor with bolts:

Ready to mount the rotor.

Lightly seated 5 of the rotor bolts in the holes, but when I went to put the 6th bolt in..........

So I removed all the bolts and tried all possible configurations.

No matter which way the rotor was turned, the last bolt would not seat properly.

Was it the rotor or the hub? Don't know.

After screwing in all 6 bolts so they just touched the rotor surface, but were not into the recessed space around each hole....

.....I turned each bolt a quarter turn at a time, and slowly, each bolt was fully seated.

My best guess is that each bolt was bent just enough to fit into the recess around the holes.

All that happened last fall....

Being frugal, I wanted to get some more miles out of the stock front tire.

And........ it looks like my legs will keep getting shorter.....

The new 19" wheel/tire combination is nearly 2" taller.

I jacked up the bike, removed the front wheel, transferred the wheel spacer and speedometer drive, and mounted the 19" wheel/tire.

Sorry no photos of this ....it was near 90 F degrees today, and I was working in the sun in the driveway....

The final result:

With the new tire, the seat height is 32" (with a 1" lowering link installed).

jb