View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruba View Post
I'm considering buying my friends bike and it does stall when rolling to a stop , I don't know if I should or not get it now that I find all this ...It has a little bit over 4000 miles , he hasn't done anything of whats been suggested in here yet , he just lives with it I guess.
DS Chic is right, it's time for the valves to be adjusted. My bike started to do the same at around 4400 miles; when I checked the valves the intakes were OK but the exhausts were almost solid. Adjusted them back to .003" and the bike ran like a top again. On my last valve check, at 8500 miles, the valves were all still in spec with no movement. Please note that I do use the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant additive mentioned earlier in the thread. One gallon from Walmart at $30 has lasted me almost 10000 miles, so I consider it cheap insurance against valve wear. You have to remember that most motorcycle engines live most of their lives at a RPM range that would be at the top operating range or red line for a car engine, so accelerated valve wear is to be expected.

My advice regarding the purchase of your friends RX3 would be to buy it, adjust the valves and then enjoy the ride.