View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #24

Insurance companies.

Back in October, I purchased a new Pitster Pro LXR 250F. I knew that being from NJ, getting it registered was going to be a hassle but had no idea that getting insurance on the bike was going to be so difficult. I contacted SIX different insurance companies and ALL six said that they'd have to get back to me because they'd have to research the bike because it wasn't in their computer system. Three responded that they couldn't provide me insurance while the other three said they could. When I spoke with representatives from the companies that said they could (Rider, Allstate and I forget the third!), I asked them how they came to their decision and all three said that they manually entered the bike manufacturer in their system. Sure didn't sound too difficult! All three companies quoted me the same price, $80/yr with minimal coverage. I've never had an accident or a ticket in over thirty years of driving/riding.
Regarding registration, NJ goes by a list of "Approved Motorcycle Manufacturers" and since Pitster Pro is not on there, I was denied at two different DMV offices in two different counties. I wound up having to go the South Dakota route but at least I'm registered and insured.