View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #3

There is a motorcycle junkyard about 50 miles from here that may have a bunch of 125cc engines. I may give them a call before I drive down there.

Here is a Lifan 125cc package I'm looking at:

http://www.pccmotor.com/lifan-125cc-motor-eng.html

I need/prefer an engine with an automatic clutch but has four gears. A co-worker has a vintage 81 Honda CT110 like this one I envy every time I see it out in the parking lot:

The main reason is since this moped doesn't have a foot brake, I need to keep both cable operated hand brakes because both handles have brake light switches.

A few things I need to keep in mind. I'm pretty sure I need two mirrors which are built into the hand brakes. Also there are switches like the headlight, horn button, turn signal on the left handlebar. The only switches on the right hand side is the kill switch and the second brake light switch.

Of course I could find all this stuff on Ebay if I have to change it over. Just more stuff to buy.

However I could use this dual brake handle with brake light switch to control both brakes with a single brake handle and use the other hand brake to operate the clutch.

Here is a 125cc engine with an automatic clutch but does not have four speeds. So having a one speed transmission might not be that much better than the 50cc engine that came on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112265216723...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How to mount this engine to a moped:

I was looking at the engine on my 110cc ATV. There appears to be only two mounts at the back of the engine. Am I looking at this correct?

Looks like there should be a mount on the front of the engine for extra support.

One other concern. I'm going to have to cut the engine support off this moped. I'm not sure how this is going to affect the stretch of the chassis. Hard to explain without a good photo.

Im sure it can be done. Just a matter of figuring it out.

I'm one of those people who likes a good challenge when it comes to mechanical stuff. Where most people work out physically in a gym, I work out mentally in my garage!

Like that 110cc ATV. Where most people who have just given up on trying to find the correct parts to fit it, I made something else work on it. I really appreciate the axle assembly you sent me.