View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #11

Done today:
Took airbox loose and pushed it onto carb, tightened the clamp and then was able to get 1 mounting screw at bottom of airbox . Good enough for now.
Gas tank seems to have a small leak up above the petcock where the extension plastic piece is connected to the tank body. Ran a bead of gasket sealer RTV around where it connects to body of tank and is ultrasonically welded ??? . We'll see if that stops leak.
Took apart petcock and cleaned it and lube up the rubber parts to get it to turn easier.
Fresh oil in motor up to almost top peek-a-boo line, Fresh non ethanol gas in tank.
Tried starting it and it tried running a few times. I defiantly heard the noise he was talking about. Like a loud rocker tapping the valve only louder. The battery only lasted a few minutes then I tried kick starting it. It was hard to kick over for a 200. Kinda like there is binding ????
Is this a push rod motor or OHC?
Does it have a decompression thingy on the cam to ease starting?
How hard is it to inspect the valve train? Pop off the valve cover and look for what?
Thanks for all your guys help. Thankfully I'm not in a big hurry to get it going with the weather still cold and enjoyed working on it with my son this afternoon.
What would you guys look at next as far as trouble shooting?
I wish I could find an online parts manual or owners manual so at least I could see inside motor parts and understand the bike better.
thanks, rj