View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Oil weeping from rocker cover

On my 2016 RX3 I have developed an infrequent bit of oil weeping from the exhaust side of the engine from the rocker cover. That cover is sealed with RTV from the factory. I doesn't happen all the time but seems more frequent when either doing long high speed freeway runs or a bunch of off-road riding. The amount of oil is minor and hasn't created a noticeable decrease in the oil volume. It just gets dusty on the front of the engine

I called and spoke to Gerry at CSC and he provided the following guidance:
1) This is something that happens on a lot of motorcycles
2) Not something to be worried about unless the oil is more than a weep. If spurting or loosing enough to puddle and drip then the top end needs to be pulled and re-sealed
3) This happens with lots of off-road and high RPM riding due to increase in crank case pressures
4) This can be exacerbated by over filling the oil level as it increases the crank case pressure. He suggested filling to a bit below the mid-point of the sight glass
5) He said that even if I were to pull and reseal the top end that it will probably start doing it again so don't worry about it unless it gets bad

This is just an FYI as I've now heard of a few folks that this is occurring.

Joe