View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

X-Pect Backroad Development

I chose this bike for the backroad for two reasons:

1) It has the lowest seat height in the class (closer to the ground for
those that need or prefer it)
2) EFI (altitude compensating)

Pictures are worth a thousand words, but until you see it in person somehow you cannot get the total end result. It is clear right away, the quality of assembly and parts is definitely a level or two above the HAWK, Magician, TBR7, Hellcat and like. I mean there is grease protruding from the swingarm. The bolts are all marked with a magic marker suggesting some torqueing may have been applied.

It shares many design principles and execution with the HAWK. How the seat looks and works, the frame design, the way the airbox wraps around the shock, the rear swingarm, the diameter of the forks is the same but shorter, the tail piece and light, the head light. When you take the side covers off you get a direct look at the EFI system and it looks intimidating, rocket science to me, all woven in to fit, but superbly done as far as routing. The fit and finish on the plastic is excellent.

It really comes across to me as more a Super Motard street machine. It gives the impression of a lowered HAWK and figures show it is 10 inches less in height than a HAWK with about the same wheel base. Sometime I will have to compare the ground clearance. The slightly lowered center of gravity and wheel size should make for quick maneuvering.

As far as the backroad, the EFI is what is, and nothing should or will be changed there. The owner’s manual is pretty good and describes procedures, the EFI, and fault codes. On the very back pages it shows an HMC Emission Control System Warranty Statement “Your Warranty Rights and Obligations” detailing an agreement between the EPA and American Lifan warranting the system for 11,185 miles or 5 years from initial date of delivery. Isn’t everything EFI related to emissions? Further down you see “Your emission control system may include components such as the carburetor or fuel-injection system”.

As much as one side of me resists, I will take apart the suspension, steering, and drive train and have a look. I will also check the valves and make a few modifications and begin to learn the bike layout. On a bike you need to depend on, it is necessary to confirm there are no obvious issues and also gain the knowledge of how the bike works. Knowledge that maybe needed later. The story is all about getting the backroad performance and the story begins.