View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #316

I had seen a Bashan Storm for rent in the Phoenix area on Riders Share peer-to-peer bike rental. The guy is asking $56 for the day (discounted from $70 for first rental). "Perfect bike!" I thought for a ride with other Chinese bike enthusiasts. Well, here is the issue. They are asking me to pay insurance or decline. Declining coverage charges a $4600 deposit. If I take the insurance, it comes in 3 tiers. The lowest cost is $56/day BUT still puts a $3k hold as a deductible. The 'standard' tier is $60/day, but takes a $2000 deposit as a deductible. The 'premium' insurance is $67 for the day, but charges a $1100 hold as a deductible. I don't have $1100 that I can put on a hold is the problem. I do understand that motorcycle renting is a lot riskier than automobiles, but when I purchase the overpriced car insurance, I am assured that I can literally walk away from even a totaled car (no deductible). Purchasing the overpriced motorcycle insurance STILL puts me at least $1100 liability. I know prices of Bashans and all Chinese bikes in general has gone up, but I couldn't imagine other than a completely totaled or stolen Storm 250 it would come out to over $1100. Even still, why the heck would I pay $67 to also put down a $1100 deductible?? The daily rent is $56, and I am sure the private party who rents it does not get most of that (maybe they do?). At any rate, peer-to-peer rental would be a good idea for high-end motorcycles, but sub-$2k bikes it seems not worth it. For giggles, I put in a 5 day rental and the deductibles go way down to like $100, but the rental was closing in on $500.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard