View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
I'm new to Chinese bikes and not familiar with the lingo. So are some of the engines that Zongshen manufactures knock offs (Hondanoids) of Honda singles? Are the engines in the RX-3 Cyclone and the TT 250 also knock offs of Honda's?
Can you tell me from which Honda model of bikes did these two engines originate?
Thanks for any answers you can provide. It will help me in my future search and purchase a CB.
Most Chinese engines are copies of old Honda engines. However, there are exceptions. Zongshen manufactures 4-5 million engines a year, and most of these engines are copies of Honda engines. However, my Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra) employs a copy of a Yamaha engine, which is virtually identical to the currently manufactured, TW200 engine. Qingqi manufactures copies of Suzuki engines.

The ZS177MM (NC250) engine in the Zongshen RX3 is a new design, which was commissioned from an Italian firm. Of course, this engine is manufactured in Chongqing, by Zongshen.

Chinese motorcycles with copies of Honda engines are called Hondoids. Most Chinese motorcycles are Hondoids. The Zongshen Sierra, Zongshen RX3, Qingqi/QLink/Konker, and SSR bikes are exceptions.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 11-02-2015 at 01:02 PM.