View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 PM   #7

Nice bike!

Your odometer might be in kilometers per hour which is why you did not realize how many 'miles' you really put on.

As far as reducing vibrations while riding--the rear wheel is most likely a Honda clone of the 1980 XL185s, and my guess is the stock sprocket being a 50 tooth engine revver since the Chinese either believe these actually are used off-road, or the maximum speed limits in China are about 30 to 35 mph (notice you can be in 3rd gear just getting through big intersection).

If the pattern is the same as a XL, you should be able to order a rear sprocket in the mid-40s through someone like bikebandit or dennis Kirk. Some would say to change the front sprocket with a bigger one first and since you might not have to have a few links cut out of your chain, but I think the rear one is a lot more straightforward, gives better results on the street (subjective), and if you get too big a front sprocket it might not even fit under the engine cover. When I had an old Jetmoto 200cc enduro, I only gained about 5 mph when I changed my rear sprocket, but the engine felt and sounded like it was doing about 1/2 the work--it was well worth it!

I suggest to limit your first mod to a rear sprocket, and depending on teeth on the front, a larger front sprocket if it will fit, and then later, jets. I would recommend to wait on most any other mods for at least 2 months, just so you get to know your bike. It's not so much you might be a 'newby' (I don't know your level of mechanical skills), but rather I have seen the occasional thread of someone (mechanically inclined) buying a new bike, doing mod after mod, and then the bike does not work too well.

Since I pretty much have limited my TMEC 200 use to commuting, I have pretty much stayed away from most any mod. I had changed the 56 tooth rear to a 40, which was a little to high of gearing combined with the front 17 tooth, and the bike still started up every day and got me to work and back. I had problems with my sprocket, however, and it seemed to eat through chains, so I went back to the stock 56 tooth gearing.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard