View Single Post
Old 04-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpixel View Post

Today was the first ride on the TX250, ....

I did not adjust valves and perhaps that is why the idle sometimes is really high, sometimes low enough to stall. Tried adjusting the idle screw up a good ways and down a good ways, but it's just inconsistent. I did have to reroute the throttle cable a bit to stop it from getting tugged when turning right.
There a few things to check for this issue:

1. Definitely take the time to set the valve clearance:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...4&postcount=23

2. Remove the carb and rejet it
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...59&postcount=4

3. When you remove the carb to rejet (and drill the airscrew-4. below), remove the intake plenum/"manifold". It probably has no gasket. There is a compatible gasket someone found (I am not sure where this is posted). I will look for it, It should be in the Templar X resource thread!

4. When you have the carb out, also drill out the airscrew cover. It is a flat round plate on the right side just above float bowl seam height, behind the slide height screw (the idle adjust screw). Try a clockwise adjustment on the airscrew once you have uncovered it (enriches when you turn clockwise). Anywhere between half turn and two turns might be right-mine is at ~3/4 turn.

Getting the carb sealed up against the head, and jet properly with airmix adjusted, and getting the valves at ~0.0015 to 0.002" will make a huge difference in how stable and responsive this engine idles and runs!

Also, change the oil immediately if you haven't already. The original oil is probably substandard. Some people call it "shipping oil". Rotella T4 10w-40 is one option (Walmart has it). ~1.1 quart

Last edited by Thumper; 04-23-2023 at 09:26 AM.