View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #78

Small update.

My ADHD-induced fyper focus (focus on something so much, so hard, and for so long you literally forget to eat) has already made me miss a meal, not realize that my hands are so cold I cannot type very well or fast. That is how much I am simultaneously drooling with excitement and pooing my britches with anxiety.

I got the bike out of the house; had to go through the patio door and the backyard. I got the tank filled with fuel. No observable or touchable leaks. Lots of fuel odor, so finding a leak with my nose will be impossible. Fuel pressure gets up to about 40 psi and stays there while the pump is running. When the pump shuts off, it instantly goes back down to about 25 and then over the course of about 5 minutes goes to 0. There is definitely some air trapped in the high-pressure side; that is going to be a recurring issue with the dead-head fuel line to the injector.

With my laptop recording, fire extinguisher nearby, but not within fuel-leaking range, fingers crossed I turned the engine over.

BANG!

An air/fuel charge was ignited within the engine, but with the intake port still open some amount (or opened shortly after). Sounded like what I imagine a gun shot sounds like. My guess is incorrect timing, a spark that was triggered by noise on the crank VR signal, the ECU unable to correctly calculate engine rpm, and fired the spark plug sometime when it wasn't supposed to, or the ignition coil going into "save the coil mode" where it will fire the spark plug if the ignition coil has been charging for >~8ms.

Through some change-something-and-see-what-happens troubleshooting, I got the noise on the crank VR signal reduced quite a bit. I tried cranking the engine again.

The engine turns over, but doesn't fire.

The spark plug is firing (and yes, I did remember to screw the plug back into the engine). I noticed that the MAP sensor is only showing about 67 kPa. Either the decompression valve in the 190 might be messing with the MAP reading, or the way the ECU is calculating the MAP signal is wrong (since this engine has effectively no intake plenum, the pressure/vacuum inside the intake manifold changes with every stroke of the engine, with next-to-no mechanical smoothing that a large volume of space would cause.

I'll have to mess with the ECU's MAP sensor readings tonight/tomorrow.

I have been cranking the engine over quite a bit as well as restarting the ECU. That means a lot of "priming pulses" of fuel were sent into the intake manifold. Maybe enough to flood the engine. The microsquirt has a flood clear mode which I have enabled; it will not inject any fuel into the engine when the throttle is held above 70% while cranking. I held the throttle wide open and cranked the engine.

BANG!

Apparently in flood clear mode, the spark plug still fires. That seems a little... odd.

At this point I realized my stomach hurt, my hands were shaking, and I couldn't think straight. There's the hunger and cold my body has been trying to get my mind to realize. I went inside and made a sandwich and sat down to write this post and do some research on if there is ANYWAY to get a CDI to work with the microsquirt.