Thread: Ssr xf250
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #351

Clutch upgrade

I've never been a huge fan of the soft and gentle clutch on this bike. Great for a new rider, but not inspiring off road.

Ordered some HD clutch springs and clutch plates a while back and decided to get the job done today. The plates I ordered were for the "GN250" version of this engine. The job took an unexpected turn, when I realized I there are only 5 plates in the bike and 6 plates of varying sizes in the new GN250 set. Overall, not sure how much thicker the new 6 plate setup is compared to the OE 5 plate setup. I tried to do the job with only 5 new plates, and it didn't work... Not quite thick enough. Did the job a second time and managed to squeeze all 6 plates in there with some adjusting and trial and error.

Got it all together and have to say it's working better than new. The clutch has a lot more grab than ever before. The clutch starts to engage when the lever is released about 1/3 of the way. With the old setup, the clutch did not engage until the lever was released about 3/4 or.more. After 25k miles, the old plates actually looked surprisingly decent. Not sure if the stronger performance is due to the extra plate, HD springs, or maybe both?